CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I think I'm going to be sick....

Our poor little Ashlyn has spent all day "spitting up" as she would say, she gets that from the fact the Preston is always spitting up. Of course this is no spit up, it definitely qualifies as vomit. This morning she woke up and told me she spit up in her bed, unfortunately that must have happened sometime in the night because it was apparent she had been sleeping in it for some time. Daddy took Ashlyn straight to the bath while I stripped down her bed trying not to get it all over me. (I apologize if your stomach is starting to churn, this is probably not the type of blog you were hoping to read!) I guess we should be grateful she didn't wake up in the night when it happened or we would have been doing all this around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.!
I always thought when you became a "mom" you developed a strong stomach and immune system of steel. I know my mom never got sick and I don't remember ever seeing her throw up. I believed it was something that came along with motherhood to help them deal with sick kids. Well, I really needed it today, having to hold Ashlyn's puke bucket while containing my own stomach took everything I had to stay strong. Now I'm counting on that immune system of steel to keep me from getting whatever Ashlyn has.
As first time parents we have a lot to learn and today we figured out that when Ashlyn wanted to cuddle that was code for 'I'm about to puke all over'. Unfortunately we, I mean Kendall, learned that the hard way as he thought how sweet it was cuddling with both Ashlyn and Preston on his lap. Then she lost it, poor little girl it is so sad to see them sick, and before I could get the bucket Kendall discovered you can balance both babies while trying to catch puke with your hands! I tried to help I really did, my first thought was save Preston, but I'm also juggling the bucket as poor Ashlyn continues to empty her stomach while Kendall screams because he now has a hand full of puke. It was quite a sight, poor Preston was not completely spared as we had to clean some out of his hair.
Most of you know Ashlyn is in the process, we like to think the end, of potty training. We never thought ahead to what happens when the girl with her big girl panties on gets sick. Sadly, along with the stomach came the diarrhea; luckily, she made it to the potty (you know I was more than thrilled about that, we did our biggest potty dance yet :). I felt so bad when Ashlyn said, "Sorry Mommy, my tummy hurts."

6 comments:

Stephanie

Oh, man that really stinks. It's even harder when the puke comes from a 7 or 9 year-old, not a two year-old.

Also, there's nothing like being awakened at 3:00 a.m. to, "Mom, I'm going to puke," shooting out of bed, and then having projectile vomit land where your head had been a mere .08 seconds before.

Ah, the joys of parenthood.

Colton Anne

All I have to say is I'm glad it was you and not me...and I'm hoping that it doesn't end up being me in a few days as we were there all day yesterday with you!

John n Shannon

Awe poor Ashlyn. I would happily catch her vomit in my hands too! How sad (and cute) that she apologized for it. I miss her. We hope we get to see you guys soon when John goes to his meeting! Definitely when we visit the new temple in the greater KC area!!

Miss L

Bless your heart! This is, I do believe, a rite of passage for Motherhood...I just wish I could say it only happens once and then you are done. sigh.

It's not funny at the time, but you will look back on this and laugh and laugh, if nothing else, while you discuss the sheer grossness of it all...trust me. :)

Hope Ashlyn is feeling better and that you and Preston and Kendall don't get this bug. :)

Nik

I'm so sorry. Sickness is the worst and it seems never ending. It's a weird place it puts moms. You know they can't help it but it still sticks (literally and figuratively) that WE have to clean it all up. We wish you good health- rid of throw-up buckets really soon!

Sheri

Poor baby. I hope she feels better soon!