CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kansas City Temple Timeline

 The Kansas City Missouri Temple for the 
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
                          This is an artist portrayal of what the Kansas City Temple will look like someday, hopefully within the next 2 years... Lately I've been reminded of what a unique opportunity we have to be a part of the building of a temple less then 5 miles away. It was almost a year ago that President Monson announced the construction of a temple in Kansas City, that is why we are so excited to finally see it being built.  We stop by often just to see the progress being made; Ashlyn and Preston get excited to drive by.  
For members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the temple is the house of the Lord-the most sacred place on earth.  The temple is a holy place set apart from the outside world, whereas our meetinghouses are filled with weekday activities and Sunday worship services.  In the temple sacred ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ are performed.  Therefore, Latter-day Saints view the temple as a spiritual center where each person can feel a special closeness to God.  Currently the closest temple to us is in St. Louis Missouri, there are approximately 150 temples currently built or in the process of building all over the world.  If your interested in learning more about temples go to lds.org! 
                           Ashlyn is convinced the Kansas City Temple is her temple and truly believes it is being built specifically for her.  It is being built for her and someday I hope she will be married there; however, when that time comes (much further down the road) I don't know that she'll even remember watching it being built.  Therefore, for the sake of posterity and the benefit of all who read I've decided to add the Temple Timeline to my blog.  I'll do my best to take pictures regularly to document the progress being made.  I'll have to commit to driving by more often because the building is going so quickly, the progress changes weekly.
I already regret that I didn't get the very beginning stages in photograph, but here you have it the current progress as of October 30, 2010.  I realize there is not much to see, but the people around town were just excited to see the elevator shaft go up, so having actually structure erected is pretty exciting.
Here is a close-up, well as close as they'll let us get.  You can see the actually formation of the building and start to imagine it with walls and everything.  We are so blessed to have a temple being built so close that sometimes it is still surreal to think about.  Which is why seeing it come to life has become very exciting.  As we drive by each week to get pictures and add them to the blog, I hope Ashlyn and Preston will begin to understand what a privilege they have to be a part of history in the making.  
          As I mentioned earlier, I don't exactly have an all access pass onto the construction site, therefore, the photos below are taken by someone else who obviously has the "inside" scoop.  Enjoy, and if anything else I'll have my blog as a record to prove to Ashlyn, Preston and Garrett that they were a part of history!












5 comments:

John n Shannon

Tell Ashlyn to start practicing opening those doors...they'll be heavy! Isn't she still saying she'll be big enough to open the temple doors by herself? She better get ready!

Lisa R

The Temple is breath taking! Thanks for the update!

Amy F. P.

What a beautiful temple! How exciting for you guys.

Melissa

Thank you for the update. I have been wondering.

Miss L

Super J has been to the temple site recently and told me about the elevator shaft, but I just couldn't picture it. Now I can! Thanks for the updates!!!!!