A few weeks ago Ashlyn was off on her own entertaining herself, so I try not to disturb. Eventually, I went over to see what she was doing and noticed blood spots all over her pajamas (yes, we tend to wear our pj's all day sometimes :) She wasn't crying and hadn't complained all morning, so when I looked at her hands covered in blood I started to freak out a little bit trying to figure out what in the world was happening, where was it coming from. Ashlyn still sat very calmly like it was no big deal, then I realized it was her finger, but not just a little cut but a slice of skin gone. I have never seen something bleed so much, the wound was literally dripping blood so I applied pressure to get it to stop, no telling how long it had already been bleeding. That is when Ashlyn started whining, she didn't want me touching it at all, however, anytime I let go (it was hard to keep pressure when she kept wrestling it away from me) it started dripping blood again everywhere.
Trying to think fast, or figure out where I last saw a band aid, we haven't needed one for awhile, I ran her to the bathroom and put her finger under the cold water, she at least allowed me to do this and keep blood from going everywhere. Then came the band aid, they never seemed very scary but apparently to a two year old who has never seen one it is terrifying! Ashlyn completely lost it, she tried to jump right off the counter and wouldn't let me come near her with the band aid. I tried to explain how it was just like a sticker, but she didn't care. Since the bleeding was not slowing down at all the band aid was our only option short of sitting there all day with her hand in the sink. At this point I still have no idea why her finger is bleeding so much and how she cut it in the first place, minor details! So I finally wrestled one band aid on her as she kicked and screamed and proceeded to pull it right off, once again immediately blood starts dripping everywhere, I'd never seen anything like this. For those of you who know me too well, I tend to faint at the sight of blood, so I was pretty proud of myself for keeping it together:)
Now I was getting mad because she would not cooperate and I could think of no other option to keep her finger from bleeding everywhere, so I turned mean. I tried threatening her to let me put the "sticker" on or else, no luck. I finally resorted to bribery, which worked like a charm. Once the band aid was successfully applied and she realized it would not "kill" her, she was fine and left it on the rest of the day. So a few words of advice, you might want to introduce the band aid to your little ones before they start bleeding all over the place:)
Beginning...again?
8 years ago

8 comments:
HAHA! "told her to let me put the sticker on her OR ELSE!" That's my favorite line.
Baby G~ won't let me put bandaids on him either. He freaks out and rips it off. I don't know where these kids are getting it, I LOVED bandaids as a child.
Who are you kidding! You can't be mean. Remember when you would say "I'm so mad" with a smile on your face the whole time? Your version of mean isn't that convincing and apparently Ashlyn realizes this too. Hahaha...funny story - even the second time around. Miss you guys!
I read what Shannon wrote and thought the same thing, you mean...yeah right! I will now introduce the band-aid sooner thanks to you! Actually, come to think of it Maddie had one already and seemed to do fine...it was an animated band-aid; maybe that would work better? Cute story though!
Bless your heart...did you ever find out what caused the cut? I have to tell you, my girls are addicted to bandaids. If any of them get a wee bit of a scrape, they need a bandaid. AND, if one sister gets one, all of them want one. I've had to go the route of getting "ugly" flesh colored ones. sigh. It's helped a little (so I agree that you need to get the princess or Barbie ones. But be careful! You can start a bandaid addiction!) Hopefully next time it won't be so bad. :)
sounds like Ashlyn performed her first surgery. Her daddy must be so proud! It was nice to see you guys last weekend!
I'm glad she finally let you put the band-aid on. It's funny how kids react to those kinds of things. Olivia loves band-aids. Every time she gets an ouchy she thinks she needs a band-aid. Today she told me her raisin box needed a band-aid because it ripped.
p.s. I'm due October 5th -- Jeff's birthday. I'm really hoping for a September birthday though.
That's great you didn't faint!! I have the same problem. Chase cut his finger while opening his birthday presents and his finger wouldn't stop bleeding either!! What's up with that. I had to leave the room though, because my stomach was turning!!
Post a Comment